Waxing, a hair removal process – provides a smooth, hairless look and feel to skin that lasts. Fantastic before heading on vacation and is excellent for those who do not like to fuss with daily shaving and that nasty prickly regrowth- and can’t afford the price of laser sessions.
A good wax is much more than just someone removing hair from a desired part of the body; more so it is a complete process of proper care beforehand and post-care. A good esthetician will always educate on the before and after.
Here are some tips for the best waxing experience
- Stay on a regularly booked cycle to catch the hair at just the right stage of development, enabling you to experience an easier wax and encourage less hair growth. Typically 4-6 weeks is good.
- Know the product to be used for hair removal; use a brand you know and trust. Soulful Indulgence’s pick is White Ivory Queen by Epillyss; a luxurious creme wax that is gentle on all skin types made of pine resin. – This creme wax is a lot more gentle on the skin. There are many different types of wax out on the market. Hot, cold, and sugar.
- Watch the sun rays on your freshly waxed skin; seek the shade for the first day to avoid any hyper-pigmentation problems from arising in the future.
- DO NOT tan immediately before or after your wax session as this can lift the skin, and you certainly don’t want that!
- Hair should be at least 1/4 inch or 6mm long.
- Avoid applying creams, lotions or gels to the area to the freshly waxed region on the day of your appointment. If you think of the freshly waxed area as an open wound; keep it dry, keep it clean.
- If you have a low pain tolerance, take an aspirin or ibuprofen 30 min before your appointment to reduce discomfort.
- Dress comfy. You don’t want super tight clothing irritating your freshly waxed area – this can cause irritation and promote ingrown hairs.
No swimming pool, hot tubs or sauna for 24 hours after waxing – keep the area dry
- Keep hair follicles clean by showering immediately after exercise – but do try to not sweat immediately after the wax session.
- Moisturize the area daily with a natural body lotion or with a specialized post waxing product.
- Gently exfoliate every three days to prevent ingrown hairs. Follicles like to get clogged with dry, dead skin and this can keep the hair from pushing to the surface of the skin.
- Sunburned, irritated or areas with open skin cannot go through with waxing.
- Wait a minimum of seven (7) days before waxing after a light chemical peel or Microdermabrasion.
- If you have done laser skin resurfacing within the last year – do not wax.
- If you have has a physician administered chemical peel within the past two years – do not wax.
Think before your wax
Know what is in your medicine as some products can cause thinning or the skin, which can lead to the skin lifting during waxing, and you certainly do not want that! Sometimes waxing can be done if proper patch testing is complete. Here is a list of products that do not mix well with waxing –
- Accutane (Acne medication) –You must be off this drug treatment course a minimum of one (1) year before waxing.
- Adapalene (Acne medication)
- Alustra (Retin-A)
- Avage (See Tazorac – Acne medication)
- Avita (See Retin A)
- Differin (Acne medication)
- Isotretinoin (See Accutane)
- Renova (See Retin A)
- Retin A (Acne and Anti-aging Medicine)
- Tazarac (Acne medication)
- Tazarotene (See Tazorac)
- Tretinoin (See Retin A)
Waxing lasts much longer than shaving and costs less than laser or electrolysis
After everything is said and done, you will love how the hair takes the time to grow back, and you will not have to fuss over it every day. Waxing usually lasts 3-6 weeks before the need for another appointment – this will depend on the individual’s hair growth.
Enjoy your time off from the blade. One other thing to note: Hair grows in 2 cycles. If you see hair coming up after your first wax too soon, that is not the hair just removed, but rather the next cycle of hair. It’s important to get on a regular schedule so you can catch them together and that is when you reap the rewards of longer lasting results.